30 April 2008

Seedlings

The gardening is going great. But just as my excitement is peaking, what does the weather do today? It snows. Off and on, most of the day. Frick.

We got some good gardening done yesterday with the neighbors. We planted all of our onion starts (Walla Walla sweets and candy onions), plus replanted all of the volunteer onions and garlic that we dug from the garden before tilling. We now have just over three 30-foot rows of onions! YAYYYY! We also got peas, lettuce, chard and spinach in the ground last night. Neighbor J worked at digging the rows and planting seeds while partner J and I planted onions. Neighbor L watched the kiddos, which was great. It's so much easier to garden when you can do cooperative labor and child care. I love it!

Today I bought more seeds. Yep, more. We needed more lettuce, spinach, carrots and beets. Plus we've decided to till up the back part of the gardenable area too, so I got some pumpkin, butternut and acorn squash seeds since we'll have the space. Have I mentioned how excited I am about growing all of this food? I only hope that the deer will leave it alone. That said, I need to get some nasturtium and marigold seed...those are good repellant plants for pests, and they're pretty.

Since we'll definitely hit below freezing tonight we've obviously not planted all of our starts out. Well, J has been eager, so we have two tiny tomato plants out in the pots next to the front porch, but we'll cover those and hope they live. Other than that, all the warmer weather plants are living inside. Here are our little photosynthetic prides and joy.

Mmm, basil.

Little tomato

Maximizing space use, even in the terrarium.

Tomatoes and venus fly traps?

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Great looking seedlings! I have instructions on how to make the newspaper pots here: http://farminginsuburbia.blogspot.com/2008/01/part-i-of-newspaper-pot-making.html

and here: http://farminginsuburbia.blogspot.com/2008/01/part-ii-of-newspaper-pot-making.html

I use one piece of scotch tape for the bottom.

Josh said...

Aren't the venus flytraps biocontrol to keep herbivorous insect populations down?

Laura said...

Snow?! Oh I don't even want to contemplate that.

Your seedlings look good.