12 January 2010

Resolutionish goals revisited

Last year I only made one true Resolution: to finish my thesis. Check. Done.

But I also made a little list of things I'd like to do in 2009 that I never shared. It simply sat in a little text file on my computer where I'd glance at it periodically. Care to see how I did on my unmentioned goals last year?

1) Do at least 1 solo bellydance performance - Yes! I did a sword solo at Springfest. Yay me.

2) More improv bellydance performances - not really. Life, thesis and pregnancy took priority over additional performance opportunities.

3) Go downhill skiing at least 1x - Yes. I went twice last winter, which is more than I had gone in years.

4) Go snowboarding at least 1x - Nope. Still haven't. Some day...

5) Master a pie crust - I tried. I wouldn't say I've mastered any yet, but I am feeling more confident with both my oil and lard-based crusts, and can occasionally make one that's actually pretty! (Shocking, I know.) I'm still working on this.

6) Broaden my culinary knowledge - Umm, vague? I think I did okay at this. I've experimented more, making bagels, english muffins, marshmallows, gingerbread cookies, black bean soup, wontons, potstickers... it's mostly been from recipes, but I'm expanding my repertoire which is good.

7) Can at least as much as in 2008 - I think I succeeded. I canned more pickles (though no more relish - we still have a bunch), way more apricots, about even on tomatoes and salsa. Didn't do much pressure canning this year, but that's okay. My only 2009 caning regret: not getting around to the peaches.

8) Exercise more regularly (more pull-ups especially) - Ha! Totally didn't happen. I kept dancing 2x a week up until 5 days before Little's birth, which I felt great about. But pregnancy and weight gain are great deterrents from working on pull-ups. Maybe this year?

9) visit at least 2 new National Parks (Yellowstone+1) - * sigh * Nope. Again, thesis and life got in the way. We did take 2 roadtrips this summer, visiting Cali and WA relatives, plus a few trips up to the City of Rocks. We just didn't get out as much as we'd hoped.

10) Learn to sew a buttonhole - 50% accomplished. J and I together figured out and sewed one buttonhole last year. I didn't have any other buttonhole-y projects, so I never tried it again. Thus I'm not at all confident in my (ability to figure out my sewing machine's) buttonholing skillz, but I know it is possible.

I'll try to think of goals for 2010, and may actually share them sooner this time. We'll see.

No comments: