25 June 2009

Never a dull moment

I seem to have a knack for getting myself into big projects. Stuff that I may not necessarily have the time or energy for, but which I'd really like to try - often with the excuse of "if I don't do it now, when will I get the chance again?"

Such is the case with the next impending project: The Great Backyard Goat Butchering of '09.

Yes, you read that right. Sometime soon, possibly this evening, a pair of dead goats will be delivered to our house. I will then butcher them, reducing them to pretty little piles to go in our freezer.

Why is this a big deal? Because I've never really butchered anything before. Neither has J. The closest I've come is either A) cutting up whole chickens, or B) my human anatomy/human dissection teaching experience. I think my prior experiences will be useful, but this will definitely be new for me. So I've been reading books, online articles, blog tutorials... anything I can find to figure out how to do this. I think I know by now, but I guess we'll see once the time comes. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Mom's Sewing Vault said...

will we get... pictures?

matt said...

So, how does goat meat taste? Better than goat's milk does, I hope