09 May 2008

McCain's religious affiliates

Another political rant ahoy!

Unless you've been living in a hole lately, you're aware of the hullaballoo in the press about Senator Obama's affiliation with Rev. Wright. The press has made such a stink about Rev. Wright's comments about oppression in America, and even that he said "God Damn America" in a sermon that Sen. Obama had to denounce Rev. Wright to save face. This, apparently, is news.

What ISN'T news in American media is Senator John McCain's religious affiliations with the likes of Jerry Falwell (blamed 9/11 on Americans), John Hagee (who 'called the Catholic Church a “great whore” and a “false cult system” ' according to these guys), and Rod Parsley. What, you've never heard of Pastor Parsley? Oh. Well, Mother Jones news called him an "Ohio megachurch pastor who has called upon Christians to wage a "war" against the "false religion" of Islam with the aim of destroying it." That sounds scary to me. Take a look at this video:



Now why is it that the media isn't hopping all over this? I see rabid, blatant hatred of a group of people. But they ignore it. Oh, right. It's because he's white. Silly me.

Update: McCain recently rejected the endorsement from John Hagee.
Ooh, ooh! More update: McCain also rejected the endorsement from Rod Parsley. John McCain (on Rev. Parsley), quoted from CNN's website:
"I believe there is no place for that kind of dialogue in America,” he told the Associated Press. “And I believe that even though he endorsed me, and I didn't endorse him, the fact is that I repudiate such talk, and I reject his endorsement."
Wow. Perhaps all the blogosphere rumblings did some good after all? One can dream.

2 comments:

matt said...

Excellent points all. In both your previous blog and this one.

Have I mentioned that I am a Kittitas County Barack-Backer. Yes, I am. Too many things are going wrong with this country, and I am not voting for change simply for the sake of change. Drastic measures need to be taken in order for your generation, and Cora's, and those thereafter, to live in safety, health, and peace.

Wasn't sure if I had shared that or not.

Doreen said...

Thank you for putting into words how I feel about all of this, including your previous post. I really hope enough people have enough sense to realize what's happening...